Friday, November 18, 2011

Ol'Seth's Iron Hands Conversions

Want to know who's got game when it comes to 40k conversions? It's not hard to figure out. Just looking across the web at some of the beautiful models out there can be downright depressing for those of us with mediocre skills. Ever sit next to an awesome painter/converter and think to yourself "why bother?" Well don't. Every one of those guys started out just like you and me. Practice makes perfect they say. What's perfect look like? Take a look at what Ol'Seth's been up to lately.


Awesome Dread conversion coming to a table near you...
Awesome Cog-Axe thingy of destruction

What's better than a cool converted Dread?  A magnetized Dread of course.

Lascannon/Twin-Linked Plasma Gun Razorback conversion

Plasticard/Brass Etching Rhino front plate


Side view of a Razorback almost too cool looking to be shot at...almost.

Front view.  Don't ask me about the creepy color, I have the photo editing skills of a small brained rodent.


Brand of plasticard used by Ol'Seth

From the mouth of Ol'Seth:  The Razorback as you can see is a Lascannon/TL plasma gun variant because well, I like the looks of a single extended large barrel on a turret.  The white plasticard is all from Evergreen models which I picked up at a local hobby shop and can be ordered online.  The etched brass is from Forgeworld.  There was no special hard to do conversions here as you can see.  The barrel on the lascannon was extended with the plastic tubing from Evergreen models and was accomplished with the use of drill bit attachment on a dremel.  Remember to mark the center of where you want the hole with a center punch or cutting knife which is what I do.  Then drill a pilot hole with a small hand drill before going in with the dremel otherwise you may slip and damage your conversion work. The glacis plate on the front of the Razorback was plasticard simply cut to size by measuring the dimensions of the one that comes with the model.  Scoring the plasticard and then breaking along those score marks is the best way to use the plasticard as some of it is too thick to cut thru with an X-acto knife in a single pass.  The dreadnought's legs I can not take credit for.  That was an idea I borrowed from here:

http://z11.invisionfree.com/Work_In_Progress/index.php?showtopic=16659

As far as the left arm goes I also borrowed that idea from there.  However, I thought a cog  axe would be more Iron Hands appropriate and also would work well since I ultimately want to use it as a Librarian Furioso Dreadnought.  The axe will be its force weapon.  I need to brainstorm and think further on the right arm although I am currently leaning towards a shield being equipped in that arm. 

Ol'Seth is also the creator of the Slaaneshi Baneblade, so you know his skills have pedigree.  Give it up for Ol'Seth and let him know what you think of his work (so that he gets inspired to send me more pictures!)

4 comments:

TJ Atwell said...

The dread is an outstanding conversion! The scale, choice of bits and of course the axe are all perfect. That poor hammer dread I made for Chosen1 will look like a dwarf next to him!

The razor back looks great and feels much more like a tank with the long barrel, as oppossed to the "rhino with a gun" look most razors have.

The best conversions are made with subtlety and you have proved it. Nice work.

Ol' Seth said...

Many thanks to Old School Terminator and Chosen 1 for the kind words. This evening, more work on the dread since I need to finish its right arm. Also, work must be done on a squad of marines with missile launchers to fill that Razorback.

Chambers said...

I love the dread, thanks for sharing your work.

Unknown said...

I love the Dread and had been planning on doing a conversion similar to this. Frankly, all I have left to say is: I wanna be just like you when I grown up, lol. Great work!