Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Product Review: Dark Arts Miniatures - Lava Bases

The folks over at Dark Arts Miniatures make a lot of stuff, but what I'm most familiar with is their line of Lava Bases which can be found here.

I feel they're adequately priced, and they come in the standard sizes for 40k bases (25mm, 40mm, & 60mm). There are 10 distinct designs in the 25mm size, 5 desings for the 40mm size and, unfortunately, only 1 design in the 60mm size. Slightly more troubling than that is my apparent inability to take a non-blurry picture of that base.




This blog is absolutely silly with pictures of my Salamander army on these bases, so if the three shown above don't suit you, I suggest you check out the posts labeled: HQ, Elite, & Troops.

Some of the lava bubbles appear "popped" whether thats by chance or design, but otherwise these resin bases are of excellent quality and any expansions of my army will be on these bases. Painting my miniatures is something I enjoy as much as playing the game. I know my limitations, however, and I would classify myself as a technician rather than an artist. If I need art, I call on Aerion. Bases like these really set your figures apart. This army received as many comments on their bases at Adepticon as they did for the great conversions.

These lava bases easily earn 5 stars out of 5 from me.

P.S. Make sure you check out my Blog Chain Give-Away. There's a transport of the winner's choice at stake, so read up and enter!

4 comments:

TJ Atwell said...

Great Bases! I remember thinking about how awesome yours were at Adepticon and was wondering whether or not you want me to go ahead and base your ironclad or paint it and send it unbased so you can put it on one of these awesome bases? BTW, he is actually carrying a hammer ... if that is too over the top let me know!

chosen1 said...

Nope that sounds Fantastic. I love the hammer idea! I'd like you to paint the model and then we'll take care of the base here. Alternatively, I was going to send a base up and let you have a go with it. It's up to you really. If you want to paint one I'll get one to you. If you don't want to mess with it, we'll sort it out.

Gibbtall said...

Just wanted to toss you a link. I prefer the Dark Arts Miniatures bases, but I figured you might want to check it out for some variation in your dread bases. http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_7&products_id=28

chosen1 said...

Very interesting! I had not heard of Secret Weapon Miniatures before. I will definately consider trying a few out with my army expansions. Thanks for the link!